We hope this finds you well. We’re looking forward to having you in a course soon, in as safe a manner as possible. In the interests of safety, all courses from March 15 through June 30, 2020 have been postponed or rescheduled. We’re truly sorry for any inconvenience this causes. But, safety should always come first.
For many of you, being certified to assist patients with limited resources is critically important – potentially now more than ever – so we’ll do our best to help you get the training you need in the months ahead. Nicely, if your certification was due to expire between March 1 and October 31, 2020, SOLO has offered an immediate blanket extension until November 1, 2020. However, we do NOT recommend waiting until November to try to re-certify, as there will likely be a sizable bottleneck by then.
Please note: Until further notice, all courses hosted in Peacham by Train NEK will run as follows:
- Courses will be held in covered outdoor spaces, with access to indoor restroom facilities with soap, hot running water, and disinfecting measures. Note for fall/winter courses: Assuming law, science and safety allow, we will hold cool weather courses in large, very well ventilated indoor spaces.
- Each participant will wear a face mask for the duration of the course – and specifically when using the shared, indoor restroom facilities. We will be able to spread further apart and remove our masks during lunch and breaks.
- Participants must bring their own patient – a non-socially-distanced family member, co-worker, friend or loved one.
- Your patient partner can audit for free, whether they participate fully or just serve as your patient. (Of course they are welcome to pay to get certified if they so choose at the end of the course, as long as they are age 14 or older and have successfully completed all the work. Registration will remain open through the last day of the course for this reason.)
- All student pairs (or trios) will work in their own dedicated, physically distant “station”, at least six feet from others. We will mark out stations with flagging.
- Participant numbers will be limited as needed to comply with state law at the time of the course.
- All students must bring their own food, water and gear – specifically a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tarp/plastic sheet/rain fly to practice warming their patient, and warm layers to create splints etc. Here is a complete course packing list.
- We will assume any one of us might be an asymptomatic carrier. We will ask participants to self-screen, including taking their own temperatures, and will provide clear instructions to registrants.
- Those who have any symptoms or who feel ill in any way should not come to class. Anyone needing to reschedule for any reason will receive full credit for another course, no questions asked!
Here is a link to the Train NEK WFR Refresher dates. Here are the Train NEK Wilderness First Aid options. And here are Train NEK Wilderness First Responder dates. Eventbrite registration links are at the bottom of each page, or you can always mail a check.
Please let us know if you have any questions, and please do take care of yourselves! We hope to see you soon.
© Train NEK | Wilderness Medicine 2020