SOLO Wilderness First Aid (WFA) with Train NEK
Join Train NEK in our outdoor classroom here in beautiful Vermont to earn your SOLO Wilderness First Aid – or refresh your SOLO Wilderness First Responder*. Email <info at TrainNEK dot com> to request different dates for your group. All WFA courses cost $200 and are held in Peacham unless otherwise noted. Courses crossed out below have filled.
2021 WFA Dates:
Saturday and Sunday, February 6-7 (St. Johnsbury)
- Saturday and Sunday, March 13-14 (St. Johnsbury)
- Saturday and Sunday, March 27-28 (St. Johnsbury)
Saturday and Sunday, April 10-11 (St. Johnsbury)
- Monday and Tuesday, April 19-20
Saturday and Sunday, May 15-16
- Thursday and Friday, May 27-28
- Tuesday and Wednesday, June 1-2
- Tuesday and Wednesday, June 8-9 (This WFA is for high school students who identify as female.)
- Thursday and Friday, June 10-11
- Monday and Tuesday, July 5-6
- Monday and Tuesday, July 12-13
- Thursday and Friday, July 22-23
- Thursday and Friday, October 14-15
- Saturday and Sunday, November 6-7
TWO OPTIONS FOR PAYMENT
SAVE MONEY! MAIL A NOTE WITH COURSE TITLE, START DATE, STUDENT NAME, EMAIL AND PHONE # AND A CHECK FOR $200 ($240 WITH CPR) TO TRAIN NEK, PO BOX 132, PEACHAM, VT 05862. (WE’LL EMAIL YOU CONFIRMATION ONCE YOUR CHECK IS RECEIVED.)
PAY BY CREDIT CARD ONLINE (ADDITIONAL EVENTBRITE FEE APPLIES) BY CLICKING ON YOUR DESIRED COURSE BELOW. YOU’LL RECEIVE EMAIL CONFIRMATION FROM EVENTBRITE (CHECK YOUR SPAM).
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, MARCH 13-14
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, MARCH 27-28
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY, APRIL 19-20
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, MAY 27-28
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1-2
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, JUNE 8-9 (This WFA is for high school students who identify as female.)
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, JUNE 10-11
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY, JULY 5-6
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY, JULY 12-13
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, JULY 22-23
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14-15
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 6-7
What is Taught? The WFA curriculum focuses on: Prevention, Response and Assessment, Initial Life Threats, Musculoskeletal Injuries including splinting and treating for spinal injuries, Environmental Emergencies including the layering system and warming patients, and Soft Tissue Injuries and Infection.
What is Included? Cost of $200 includes engaging instruction, training materials, and SOLO WFA certification fee. WFA certification is good for two years, and you recertify by taking the course again. Need CPR certification? SOLO Basic CPR is offered as an optional adjunct at the end of Day One for an additional $40 including materials and SOLO Basic CPR certification fee.
Who is This For? The WFA course is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts and trip leaders who want a basic level of backcountry first aid training for short trips with family, friends, and outdoor groups. This includes hikers, climbers, paddlers, bikers, scouts, skiers, surveyors, and archaeologists – anyone who wants to feel more independent, empowered and capable outside. It also meets ACA guidelines, and can be used to recertify the SOLO Wilderness First Responder*. For those who are regularly responsible for others on more advanced/remote outings, we recommend the Wilderness First Responder.
What Should I Bring? WFA students should bring clothing layers suitable for getting dirty and appropriate for being active outside much or all of the day (i.e. rolling around on the ground pretending to be injured, and kneeling next to mock patients). They also need to bring additional outdoor layers to use for warming and treating patients. Lodging and meals are not included. Here is a complete packing list so you know what to expect; directions are sent to students following registration.
* As of January 1, 2020, only SOLO Wilderness First Responders will be able to recertify using a SOLO Wilderness First Aid course. Students with certification from organizations having reciprocity with SOLO (includes Wilderness Medical Associates, Wilderness Medicine Institute, University of Vermont, Aerie Backcountry Medicine, ASHI, Wilderness Medicine Outfitters, Wilderness Medicine Training Center, and Remote Medical International) should choose SOLO’s “Wilderness First Responder Refresher” course instead.
© Train NEK | Wilderness Medicine 2020