SOLO Wilderness First Aid (WFA) with Train NEK
Please see our COVID update.
Join Train NEK in our outdoor classroom here in beautiful Vermont to earn your SOLO Wilderness First Aid – or refresh your SOLO Wilderness First Responder*. (Email <info at TrainNEK dot com> to request different dates for your group.) All WFA courses cost $200 and are held in Peacham unless otherwise noted.
2022 WFA Dates Courses crossed out below have filled.
Wednesday and Thursday, April 20-21 Wednesday and Thursday, April 27-28 Wednesday and Thursday, May 11-12 Monday and Tuesday, May 16-17 Thursday and Friday, June 2-3 Tuesday and Wednesday, June 14-15
- Thursday and Friday, June 16-17
- Monday and Tuesday, June 20-21
- Tuesday and Wednesday, July 5-6
- Wednesday and Thursday, July 13-14
- Wednesday and Thursday, August 31-September 1
- Tuesday and Wednesday, September 6-7
- Monday and Tuesday, September 19-20
- Thursday and Friday, September 22-23
- Thursday and Friday, October 13-14
- Saturday and Sunday, October 15-16
- Wednesday and Thursday, October 19-20
- Monday and Tuesday, October 24-25
TWO OPTIONS FOR PAYMENT
SAVE MONEY! MAIL A NOTE WITH COURSE TITLE, START DATE, STUDENT NAME, EMAIL AND PHONE # AND A CHECK FOR $200 ($240 WITH CPR) TO TRAIN NEK, PO BOX 132, PEACHAM, VT 05862. (WE’LL EMAIL YOU CONFIRMATION ONCE YOUR CHECK IS RECEIVED.)
PAY BY CREDIT CARD ONLINE (ADDITIONAL EVENTBRITE FEE APPLIES) BY CLICKING ON YOUR DESIRED COURSE BELOW. NOTE: Eventbrite may or may not refund their additional fees if you have to cancel; we recommend sending a check if your plans are uncertain.
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, JUNE 2-3 (registration is closed)
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14-15 (registration is closed)
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, JUNE 16-17
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY, JUNE 20-21
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, JULY 5-6
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY, JULY 13-14
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY, AUGUST 31-SEPTEMBER 1
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6-7
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19-20
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22-23
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13-14
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15-16
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19-20
EVENTBRITE LINK FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24-25
What is Taught? The WFA curriculum focuses on: Prevention, Response and Assessment, Initial Life Threats, Musculoskeletal Injuries including splinting and treating for spinal injuries, Environmental Emergencies including the layering system and warming patients, and Soft Tissue Injuries and Infection.
What is Included? Cost of $200 includes engaging instruction, training materials, and SOLO WFA certification fee. WFA certification is good for two years, and you recertify by taking the course again. The WFA can also be used to recertify the SOLO Wilderness First Responder*.
Need CPR certification? SOLO Basic CPR (which meets current AHA guidelines) is offered as an optional adjunct at the end of Day One for an additional $40 including materials and SOLO Basic CPR certification fee.
Who is This For? The WFA course is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts and trip leaders who want a basic level of backcountry first aid training for short trips with family, friends, and outdoor groups. This includes hikers, climbers, paddlers, bikers, scouts, skiers, surveyors, and others who want to feel more independent, empowered and capable outside. This course meets ACA guidelines. (Those who regularly engage in more challenging or remote outings, particularly if they are responsible for others in those settings, are encouraged to take the SOLO Wilderness First Responder course.)
What Should I Bring? WFA students are asked to bring clothing suitable for being active outside (i.e. rolling around on the ground pretending to be injured, and kneeling next to mock patients) for much of each day, in any kind of weather. You should also bring additional outdoor layers for warming and treating patients. Lodging and meals are not included. Here is a complete packing list so you know what to expect. Directions are sent to students following registration.
* As of January 1, 2020, only SOLO Wilderness First Responders can recertify using a SOLO Wilderness First Aid course (with an additional fee for the WFR Review). Students with certification from organizations having reciprocity with SOLO (includes Wilderness Medical Associates, Wilderness Medicine Institute, University of Vermont, Aerie Backcountry Medicine, ASHI, Wilderness Medicine Outfitters, Wilderness Medicine Training Center, and Remote Medical International) should choose SOLO’s “Wilderness First Responder Review” course instead.
© Train NEK | Wilderness Medicine 2020